The Priory Inn is located in the heart of the delightful market town of Tetbury in Gloucestershire: a stone's throw from the many renowned antique shops and a short drive from Prince Charles' private country residence - Highgrove.
Tetbury, standing on the river Avon, has been described as an 'architectural gem'. The central part of the town is largely unchanged since the 16th and 17th centuries, and many parts are clearly linked to medieval times. It is home to the beautiful St. Mary's church, one of England's finest examples of the gothic revival style of architecture.
- Westonbirt Arboretum (5 mins drive)
With 16,000 trees, it is one of the finest collections in the world. Set in 600 acres, the arboretum is a true spectacle in all seasons and one of the Cotswolds' most popular attractions. There are regular events, such as firework displays, concerts, garden shows and winter night-time walks amongst illuminated trails.
- Sporting events
The area is rich in exclusive and action-packed sporting events - Cheltenham Gold Cup, Badminton Horse Trials, Gatcombe Horse Trials, and Polo at The Beaufort Polo Club and Cirencester Park.
- Cirencester (15 mins drive)
The "Capital of The Cotswolds", Cirencester is an historic Roman town just 10 minutes drive from The Priory Inn with a Roman Ampitheatre to the nearby Chedworth Roman Villa. The Corinium Museum in an important source of information on the local history.
- Kemble Airfield (8 mins drive)
Kemble Airfield is a commercial airfield approx 8 minutes drive from the Priory Inn which hosts spectacular air shows and is home to flying schools who guarantee experiences you'll never forget. Kemble Airschool and Ultimate High.
- Chavenage House (8 mins drive)
A beautiful historic Elizabethan house which has featured in many films.
- Fabulous walking country
We are close to many national trails such as The Cotswolds Way, Monarch's Way and The source of the Thames Path.
- The Royal connection
Highgrove House is on the outskirts of Tetbury, the private residence of The Prince of Wales. The Prince has recently opened a Highgrove Shop in Tetbury, featuring local produce from The Duchy Home Farm and other local items. Some shops in Tetbury carry the traditional three-feathered crest of the Prince of Wales. Gatcombe Park (10 mins drive), where Princess Anne lives is home to the Horse Trials and is surrounded by beautiful parkland, within walking distance of Minchinhampton village centre.
- The World Heritage City of Royal Bath (40 mins drive)
With the best preserved Roman religious spa from the ancient world and a fantastic day spa with roof-top pool which is open to the public - as well as fabulous shopping!
Tetbury is located 10 minutes from J17 on the M4 motorway, with links to London - 90 miles, Birmingham - 80 miles, Oxford - 25 miles, Bath - 20 miles, Bristol - 25 miles.
If you need a taxi to visit local attractions or are looking for a private tour of The Cotswolds, call Richard at Express Taxis.
Activities and family fun
There is a whole host of activities within easy reach of The Priory Inn.
- The Cotswold Water Park is 10 minutes drive away where you can learn watersports, hire bikes or boats and ride or row around the lakes or just enjoy the playgrounds and children's beach.
- Thistledown Environmental Centre set in 70 glorious acres of Cotswold countryside offering visitors a great day out to experience beautifully managed natural environments, wildlife, historical features, sculpture, art and rural crafts, and farm animals - 20 minutes drive.
- The Cotswold Farm Park is the home of rare breed conservation and is a great day out for the whole family with tractor rides, demonstrations and indoor and outdoor animals. The park is found at Guiting Power, near Cheltenham and is worth checking on opening times - it is a 50 minute drive (but worth it!)
- The Cotswold Wildlife Park Just south of Burford in Oxfordshire (45 minute drive) and again worth the trip. Set in really beautiful gardens and 160 acres of parkland there are stacks of things to do for all ages for a whole day out. The park is open all year round except Christmas Day and offers many different activities, depending on the time of year - a single gauge railway takes you around the park, there is a childrens' small animal area as well as white rhino, camels, zebras, penguins, some big cats, ice-creams and a playground. tel 01993 823006
- Cotswold Falconry Centre Just next to Batsford Arboretum in Moreton-in-Marsh (approx 40 mins drive), the centre is a great day out and the kids love it!. Flying displays every day in the summer showing off their magnificent owls, hawks, vultures and eagles. A really worthwhile trip. tel: 01386 701043
- Bibury Trout Farm is one of the places that we buy trout for our menus. Founded in 1902, it is a most attractive and family-friendly farm in the delightful village of Bibury. It is primarily a working farm, breeding and rearing high quality trout for restocking angling waters. There is a gift shop, fish counter, delicatessen, picnic and play areas, you can feed the fish and there is even a 'catch your own' fishery - a recommended family day out.
- Slimbridge Wildfowl and Wetland trust is about 30 minutes drive from Tetbury - great for all ages in all weathers with a new and very popular Welly-Boot Land ,canoe and land-rover safaris, guided walks and floodlit bird feeds.
- Woodchester Park is a secluded Cotswold Valley owned by The National Trust. A 'lost garden', chain of five lakes and waymarked trails thread through this delightful 18th and 19th-century landscape park. Free walking and takes about 20 minutes to drive there from Tetbury.
- Lydiard House and Park is a beautiful 260 acre 18th Century parkland on the western edge of Swindon and the grounds are free to walk around. Great for children with a state-of-the-art playground and climbing equipment. The house and walled garden are also open to the public and there is a charge on entry. Half an hour's drive from Tetbury.
- Bowood House and Gardens just 40 mins drive from Tetbury is steeped in history and is a magnificent example of this country's landscaped grounds at their most beautiful. From the family point of view, there is an adventure playground (tricky to drag them away from), picnic areas, rhododendron walks and masses and masses of open space.
- Cotswold Clay Shooting is just one mile from Stow and offers members and non-members a variety of sporting targets for all standards and a very friendly welcome.